Rams figure skating seeking new head coach
TORONTO - Ryerson University is seeking a candidate to serve as head coach of the Rams figure skating program on a part-time basis.
The figure skating season begins in September and finishes with Ontario University Athletics (OUA) championships in February. Registration in non-sanctioned competition throughout the year may be permitted in preparation for the OUA championships. Practices are typically held in the early morning at the Mattamy Athletic Centre on Ryerson's campus.
The candidate needs to be a strong leader with diverse coaching knowledge and ability to work well with others. It is essential that the candidate act in accordance with documented procedures and policies set by Ryerson University and OUA. Direct experience as a coach or competitive athlete within collegiate figure skating is an asset.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Overseeing program and athlete registration with Skate Canada
- Team selection and competition event assignments
- Preparation and supervision of all team practices and training events
- Ensure athletes and team personnel meet the expectations and guidelines outlined in the student-athlete and coach's code of conduct
- Securing additional volunteer coaching support where needed
- Providing regular and frequent communication with athletes and team personnel
- Attend all meetings and in-servicing as prescribed by the Varsity Operations Coordinator
- Execution and reconciliation of team budget
- Work with Athletics to coordinate travel and accommodations as required for off-site competition
- Work with Athletics to coordinate competition, practice and sideline apparel purchasing
- Ensuring all competing athletes meet OUA compliance requirements
- Ensuring all sport-technical requirements of the OUA as related to Figure Skating are met
- Oversee all fundraising and development initiatives undertaken by the figure skating program and ensuring compliance with University policies
- Intermediate level starskate coach (level 2)
- Three years of coaching at the university or an equivalent level, which could include gold test levels in starkate and/or novice/junior competitive
- Specific event competencies and coaching experience in free skate, synchro and ice dance are an asset
- Current CPR/First Aid Certification
- Ability to provide a satisfactory criminal reference check
Interested applicants should call or email their interest to Nick Asquini, Varsity Operations Coordinator, Ryerson University Athletics at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416-979-5000 ext. 4293. Please provide references along with cover letter and sport resume. All applicants are thanked for their interest. Only candidates chosen for an interview will be contacted.
Closing date: Until filled